We’d love to have you as a volunteer for the 21st Annual Festival of Trees. Click here to sign up on our signupgenius page!
- As a volunteer, you will be a representative of Sandhills Children’s Center.
- Please volunteer with Christmas Cheer! When working with other volunteers or greeting guests, please smile.
- If you planned to volunteer, but end up feeling under the weather – especially if you have a fever plus a cough or sore throat – please take care of yourself and do not come to volunteer. This is essential to protect you and our guests. Notify Mary Hilgenberg, if possible, that you will not be able to attend.
- Festival is the perfect time to breakout your holiday wear. Sweatshirts, t-shirts, themed vests and sweaters are great ways to greet the public.
- We will provide a Festival lanyard for you to wear during your shift with your name. As temperatures in the Carolina Hall fluctuate, we recommend wearing layers.
- Comfortable shoes suitable for walking and standing for extended periods of time are a necessity.
Please park at the Pinehurst Resort. You may take a shuttle to the hotel at the front of the Member’s Club entrance. If there is not one there, then request one to the hotel.
Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost to attend? Any $ donation at the door will be accepted for entrance to the entire festival Wednesday – Sunday.
Who designs the trees? Trees are designed by amateur and professional decorators. This year’s Festival decorators include representatives from area businesses, community
groups, clubs, and private individuals. The decorator for each tree is listed on the sign at that tree and in the Festival program.
Decorators donate their time and materials to decorate their tree. They begin working early in the year to create their design and to procure items on and around the tree.
Who sponsors the festival? Individuals and businesses sponsor the Festival benefiting Sandhills Children’s Center programs. Many sponsors return year after year. They receive recognition in the community as supporters of Sandhills Children’s Center.
Who are the honorary children? Each year, children with disabilities from Sandhills Children’s Center are honored with an individual tree decorated by their teachers. Gifts of educational toys are included with each tree that will go home with the children.
How much do the trees and items sell for? The wonderful trees and other items are sold through a silent auction online that ends Sunday evening. The purchase price of each item will be posted on the auction website. Trees have sold for as much as $17,000, but that is rare. Each item has a “Buy it Now” price and may be purchased prior to the auction close, but will remain on display.
What happens to the items after the event? On Monday after the auction, all buyers may pick up their auction items beginning from 9:30 am – 6:30 pm. Trees over 6’ tall will be delivered within Moore County, but guests will need to pick up the gifts under the tree in person.
Where can I find more information about becoming a tree decorator, volunteer or Festival sponsor? Guests may register at the front desk for the following year.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. – Winston Churchill