Sandhills Children’s Center opened its doors on September 15, 1970 with Sheri Davis as our first child. At that time, parents and advocates for children were witness to the birth of early intervention programs across the state that created a system for which North Carolina has been recognized as a leader every since.
From one child in 1970 to hundreds served by Sandhills Children’s Center today, our growth and accomplishments represent the hard work and dedication of exceptional employees, a committed Board of Directors, and a generous and responsive community. Sandhills Children’s Center continues to evolve year after year as we rise to meet the growing needs of very young children.
The geographical impact of our efforts has spread across this south central region of North Carolina to include Moore, Richmond, Montgomery, Hoke, Scotland, and Anson counties. Through this expanded mission, children and families throughout many, many square miles have been blessed with the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
Forty-Two Years of Success
1970 Moore County Children’s Center
Sheri Davis, first child
Our Savior Lutheran Church housing
1971 Enrollment 10 children with disabilities
1985 Enrollment 60 children
Brownson Presbyterian Church housing
1988 Permanent move -1280 Central Drive Southern Pines
1989 Name changed to Sandhills Children’s Center to reflect broad geographic areas of service
1990 Inclusive Classroom Model adopted
1997 NC Program of Excellence Award
Facility expansion for therapy and educational space
2004 Outreach program implemented to provide home based services
2008 Sandhills Children’s Center opened Rockingham Campus
2011 Over 500 children served in Center- based & Outreach Programs
2011 230 Children received educational and therapeutic services
2011 Creative Menu Award - Food Program
2012 Currently serving 300 children in Moore, Richmond, Hoke and Scotland Counties